Monday, April 7, 2014

Donna Maye

The barking wouldn't stop! The high pitched decibel pierced through the night. I looked at my clock- 2:30 a.m. Why did we have to get a dog the night before my second day of high school? Especially one that kept me awake at all hours! Of course, she was in her crate in the guest room, directly below my room.

I threw open my door, stomped down the hallway, down the stairs, through the kitchen and opened the door to the guest room. The barking stopped. The three-pound white fluff ball with red bows in her hair stood up in her crate, excited to see me! I was mad! When I agreed to the arrangement that we would get a Bichon Frise as a part of moving to Atlanta, I had envisioned only the fun parts of having a dog. Now, we were only a few hours in and all I wanted was peace and quiet! It was hard enough being the "new kid" in 9th grade when friends I'd known since kindergarten were hundreds of miles away. Donna Maye, the name Mary and I decided upon before we even got her, just wanted to play! I just wanted to sleep.

That night I couldn't have imagined how that little puppy would come to occupy such a special place in my heart. She was the friend I needed when I didn't have friends those first few, long weeks of high school. Once I made friends, she entertained them with her playful antics and they grew to love her too. She quickly became an integral part of the family. I loved coming home from school to be greeted by an excited dancing puppy! Never mind that every time we opened the door, she would bolt out and make us chase her through the yards of our neighbors. It was all a game to her.

She was there as I got ready for Homecoming dances and proms, as I sat up late talking to my friends on AIM, and as I cried when my family fell apart. When things got really rough, she was a source of joy and comfort. All she knew was how to be loving, joyful, energetic, sweet (and occasionally mischievous). It didn't matter what was going on around her.

When I was in college I missed her the most (sorry, Mom, Dad and Mary!). I loved getting to play with her during breaks! My college friends met her and teased me about how crazy I was about that dog. They were right!

When I graduated from college, I didn't see her as much. The few times I did see her, she greeted me with the same enthusiasm and joy she always had. She was still "my dog" even though we hadn't lived in the same house for years. It almost seemed like no time had passed.

I got married and moved into a house of my own. She came with my mom or dad to visit during holidays or special occasions. She enjoyed running around in our fenced in back yard. She made herself at home and always found the most comfortable spot to sit, as close to one of us as she could get. I loved having her in my home; it just seemed like she belonged.

She was at my grandparent's house when we told Mom, Larry and the rest of the family there that we are expecting a baby! She heard all the squeals, saw the smiles and felt the excitement. She snuggled extra close to me when I had to lay down for a nap because pregnancy is exhausting. In that season of her life, some of her vivacity was gone. She enjoyed relaxing with whoever was still. Her hair on her face was getting darker. She was aging.

Even as a 14 year old girl, in those first few weeks that she was in our home and in my heart, I dreaded when she would no longer be with us. I knew it would happen someday, I just didn't know how or when. Now I know.

At some point during the past few months, she developed cancer that spread to her lungs to the point where her breathing became very labored. A week after we found out about the cancer, she was gone. Today.

We traveled to Atlanta this weekend to say our goodbyes and to spend some time as a family. Even my dad was able to come over from Birmingham. We took Donna Maye to a park next to the Chattahoochee River, had a picnic, hiked a trail and took lots of pictures. She enjoyed the car ride, sniffing at all the smells of spring, and just being a dog. For such an "indoor dog" she always loved the outdoors! When she got tired, we carried her. It was truly a lovely afternoon.

She declined pretty rapidly over the weekend. I said good bye to her on Sunday. I hugged her one last time, and as I put her back on her bean bag, I said, "Thanks for everything." I am truly thankful.

Donna Maye was a blessing to our family for nearly 13 years. She reflected characteristics of the Lord so well: joy, unconditional love, and a comforting presence. He gave us to her for the season that she was here. She served to unite us as a family, even when everything else divided us. He gives and He takes away. Donna Maye's time here is done. I am so thankful for the wonderful memories and stories I get to tell my children about her someday.

Thank you Lord, for the blessing of Donna Maye. As I give her and the time I had with her to Him, I open my heart to receive a new chapter in my life, filled with joy, hope and a new life.

Even as my heart hurts tonight, He is the giver of all good things.


































No comments:

Post a Comment