Monday, August 4, 2014

Week 30: A New Chapter

Friday was my last day as a woman working outside the home. It's still sinking in. We made these plans months ago and even decided that I would end my time at Union before the academic year began so I could spend the last two months doing final preparations and resting before Claudia's arrival. Staying at home once a baby was in the picture was a topic we agreed on when we were engaged and its been my dream ever since I was a little girl! Now that its here, as has been the case with so many other milestones in my life, I'm not sure what I'm doing!

For the past 5 years since graduating college, I've been working. The Lord provided me with two wonderful jobs and has taught me so much through them! I know I have been so blessed. I also know that my work-ethic (aka my workaholic tendencies) have kept me feeling torn between devoting sufficient time and energy to work and focusing on things at home. Now that struggle is over and it feels like a huge burden is lifted. Work has been my "normal" for 5 years. It was so strange to kiss Austin goodbye this morning and not head out to work myself.

The Lord's timing has been so amazing throughout my life and I know this isn't any different. Taking these two months to ease into being a stay-at-home wife/mom is exactly what I need. Getting used to change takes time. I think one of the biggest changes is that I will have the freedom to decide what to do during my day! I'm very excited about that. I'm excited about having time to do laundry throughout the day and start preparing dinner earlier. I'm so thankful I will be able to take a nap when I need one (which is more frequently these days!) or even schedule a doctor's appointment any time without having to consider my work schedule. A theme the Lord has been teaching me in recent months is to simplify and that is exactly what is happening.

With this new freedom comes new responsibility. In some ways, I feel like this will be easier once Claudia arrives. Her needs and her schedule will dictate my work throughout the day and will make each day productive. The challenge these next couple of months before she arrives is to still live intentionally. Being intentional was very easy for me at Union because I constantly had opportunities to serve and talk to coworkers and students. At home, it's going to require more effort. I want to find a good balance between resting, working, and investing in relationships. I know that spending time with the Lord is going to be more important than ever. Now that my work outside the home is done, I'm already being reminded that He is the only one that can fulfill me. I pray that I will find so much joy and contentment in this new chapter in my life! I know He has wonderful plans- I'm so excited to see what they are!

I already feel much more physically rested. The days since Friday have been so restful and I'm so thankful for that! Claudia is growing and getting heavier. I feel her move constantly. I'm getting so ready to meet her! Interestingly, I'm getting nervous about the actual delivery and everything that will go along with that. I just want everything to go smoothly and to do a good job. I think I'll feel better after we take our classes at the hospital. Those will start in September.

Now for some updates!

On Wednesday, my wonderful coworkers took me out to Picasso's for my farewell lunch! It was great fellowshipping over good food. At the end, they presented me with an Outback gift card and a sweet card they all signed. For Claudia, they each brought a children's book (either their favorite from their childhood or their children's favorite) to add to her library! I was so humbled by their thoughtfulness and can't wait to read them to Claudia!

Thursday, I wrapped up things I'd been working on for the past couple of weeks, cleaned out my desk and said my goodbyes. It was strange walking out of Union for the last time. I am planning to come back and visit, though! Especially when I can bring Claudia with me! Austin and I had a celebratory dinner at Outback that evening.

On Friday, I joined most of the other stay-at-home moms in Jackson at Hobby Lobby (really, though- it was the first day of school) and bought some fun things for Claudia's nursery! I did some crafting over the weekend :-) I'm getting so excited to do a post on the nursery in a few weeks. It's really coming together! Yesterday, Austin and I organized her clothes by month and started putting things in her chest of drawers. I put pictures in frames and we tied the bumpers on her crib. Her little lamb toy is already waiting for her in her crib!

This upcoming week will be fun! Today I have a doctor's appointment. Once you pass 28 weeks, you begin going every 2 weeks instead of every month. I'll be seeing my regular doctor, who I haven't seen in a while. Friday is Austin's birthday so I've been plotting about that! Saturday is Kayla and Brian's wedding! We're so excited to celebrate them and all the Lord will do in and through their marriage!

Now I'm going to make some lunch and get ready for my doctor's appointment! Until next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment