Thursday, November 15, 2012

What's for Dinner? Creamy Tomato Pasta with Spinach



This recipe is actually a result of my own experimentation in the kitchen! I am a huge recipe follower, so this is a big deal for me! I just went with the philosophy that if I mixed together ingredients that I like, I would like the dish that resulted! That's what happened, so I thought I would share!
You can tweak this as you like! (The picture was sort of an afterthought, so what we actually ate had a lot more spinach and tomatoes visible. I love the contrast of the green spinach against the orange sauce!) Anytime I cook a pasta dish, I like to serve a green vegetable- peas were what we had this time!

Ingredients

1 pkg. pasta (I used bowtie pasta)
2 big handfuls fresh spinach leaves
1 1/2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp. white cooking wine
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Tomato Sauce (I use Hunt's canned tomato sauce)
Alfredo Sauce
Salt
Shredded Parmesan cheese

Preparation

Cook pasta in salted water and set aside.

Sautee onions and garlic in the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When they start to get tender, add the cooking wine and stir.

Add the chopped tomatoes and sautee. After about 2 minutes, toss in two big handfuls of fresh spinach leaves (it will look like a lot, but it will cook down!) Place the lid on the skillet for 3 minutes. The steam will help the spinach cook down. Stir.

Add about 1 1/2 6 oz. cans of tomato sauce and stir. Then, add approximately 1/4 of a cup of alfredo sauce and stir.  Cook until the sauce gets hot (about 5 minutes). Serve over pasta and sprinkle parmesan cheese on  top!

Enjoy! This recipe makes about 4 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment