Saturday, November 3, 2012

Perseverance

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1: 2-4


It is astonishing to me that the last time I posted on our blog was on October 5th! Nearly a month later I wonder where the time went! To say that October was a busy month only captures part of it. To be completely honest, this past month has given us the opportunity to persevere through trials, like James 1 so wonderfully puts it. At one point, both of us were sick and both cars were broken down. In addition, our AC Unit needed a refill of frion (which was much more than we had in our budget!) so we rode out the last few 80+ degree Autumn Days sleeping in our guest room in a bed that is much smaller than we're accustomed to. At work, I've had something going on every minute and Austin has been adjusting to working under new leadership at his company (which has been great- but still an adjustment!). I feel like I've come home in the evenings a little more tired than normal, then I would be hard on myself for not having dinner on the table or the chores done. I think all of these things we've been facing are great examples of the everyday trials everyone faces. They are not disastrous or life-changing, but the enemy can use them to wear us down and cause us to get frustrated more easily, worry about things, and put tension in our marriages. If we let enough of these "little things" go unheeded, they can turn into big problems!

The good news about all of this is that the same circumstances that the enemy wants to use to tear us down, the Lord wants to use to make us more like Him! We have the choice! It is such a great comfort to me that we choose how to react to our circumstances- our circumstances don't control us! However, the decision to pursue Christ in our everyday trials is rarely the easy thing to do. It requires selflessness, giving up control of our lives, getting outside what is comfortable, and actively loving others with the love of Jesus.

Something I've come to realize in a more real way through these circumstances is that when my heart is not right and I am not relying on the Lord for my joy, strength and provision, it affects everything else, especially my marriage. At the end of the day, no matter how much money we have in the bank, what car I drive, how big our house is, what clothes I wear, and even the wonderful blessings of a great job, awesome friends and family, and a loving husband- none of it can satisfy my soul. The Lord must be in the center of my life- for He alone is the source of all good things! When I try to do things on my own and take control of my own life (which as a person who loves plans is a daily temptation!), it always falls short! I am so thankful that I serve a gracious God who is more patient with me than I could ever deserve. I am so thankful He sent His only Son to die on a cross for my sins, and by raising to life on third day provided salvation to all who would believe! His love is immeasurable and truly amazing!

When I dwell on the Lord, my circumstances are put into the right perspective. A passage of scripture that I read often (because I need the reminder!) is Matthew 6:25-34. It is such an encouragement through the everyday trials of life and helps provide the fuel to persevere.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do no so or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or What shall we drink?" or "What shall wear?" For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."




No comments:

Post a Comment