Monday, September 24, 2012

What's for Dinner?: Taco Soup




I owe this recipe to my wonderful friend, Jessie Mayfield. It has become one of our family favorites and is so easy! You can either make it in the crock pot (I think its better this way!) or on the stove. I like to serve it with sharp cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. So yummy!!!! This recipe makes tons of soup! It is perfect for having company and tastes even better the next day! It also freezes well.


Ingredients:

1 can pinto beans (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato sauce
1 can rotel diced tomatoes (I like "mild")
1 onion, chopped
1 bag frozen corn
1 packet taco seasoning (I like McCormick and Schmick's)
1 packet ranch dressing mix (I like Hidden Valley)
1 lb. ground beef (optional)
Water


Preparation Instructions:

Brown the ground beef and drain. Place in the crock pot. Add all the other ingredients and mix. Add water until you get desired consistency (I put in about a cup).

Cook in a soup pot on the stove for about 45 minutes or cook on low heat in the crock pot all day. Perfect for when I come home from work!

Sprinkle cheese on top and serve with tortilla chips.


Cost: $ 0.94 per serving

Ground Beef Round (15% fat): $4.89
Bush's pinto beans: $ 1.13
Hunt's diced tomatoes: $ 1.09
Hunt's tomato sauce: $ 0.60
McCormick and Schmick's mild taco seasoning: $ 1.00
Hidden Valley ranch mix: $ 1.75
1 onion: $1.38
1 can Rotel tomatoes: $ 1.15
1 small bag frozen corn: $1.00
Shredded Cheddar Cheese: $2.00
Tortilla Chips: $1.00

Makes about 18 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment