Thursday, June 21, 2012

Healthy Wife, Healthy Life: 1

I love summertime! Now that I'm back in the academic world, it brings a welcome change of pace to my crazy life. Its also a good time to get back into things I enjoy, such as cooking and writing (and spending time with Austin!). I also have more time to do chores (especially laundry). What more could I ask for? However, an area where I have been lacking in my life for the past two years or so has been my personal fitness and health. Having a job where I sit all day doesn't really help with this.So, this summer I've decided to do something about it!

Mary is taking summer classes and she has joined me in the quest for better health! We unfortunately have some family history of cancer and diabetes- this is part of why we want to establish good habits now. Looking back, I can say there has really only been one time in my life where I was fit- 2008. That spring semester I took "Fitness for Health" at Samford, and with the encouragement of my amazing friend, Pamela, spent the semester running and weight lifting. The final exam was a 5K through campus! I barely survived, but I made it! That summer, I taught mountain biking at WinShape Camp for Girls. I was biking about 3 or 4 hours a day at one point! Crazy!

At Six Flags in 2008! Haha!

Okay, my reminiscing is over. But, I think the fact I have been in shape once before has served as more of a frustration to me until this point instead of a motivation. My thoughts have been negative because I have known what it feels like to be healthy and my body cringes at the fact it doesn't feel like that anymore. I have gotten frustrated with myself, feeling like I've "let myself go". Can anyone else relate? Compounding this frustration has been the physical reminder of my favorite outfits not fitting anymore- grrr. Over the past few months I have sporadically tried Zumba, some workout videos and counting calories. Nothing has been consistent, however.

As much as I would like a "quick fix", research consistently proves that the best way to lose weight and keep it off is through changing your lifestyle to a healthy one. This means getting on a workout routine and eating healthier; instead of being frustrated, setting realistic goals. It's so easy to feel pressured by what society says we should look like. Something we need to realize as women is that there is always something we will be lacking by the world's definition. So, why try? Let's focus on who we are in Christ! God's love for us doesn't change- let's care more about Christ being reflected in who we are than about how we look on the outside! Let's take care of our bodies because it is the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit and because when we have more energy, we can better serve! Let's reflect the Lord's beauty in how we look, act and in our relationships! This is so much more motivating for me than simply trying to look like a celebrity.

I am such a planner. Having a plan is the only way I can reach goals. So, since one of my favorite things to do after a busy day at work is to plop down on the couch and remain pretty sedentary the rest of the evening, I thought that the "Couch to 5K" plan would be appropriate! For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a running plan that gradually builds you up (in 10 weeks) to being able to run a 5K without stopping (I wasn't even able to do that in my fitness class!). Mary and I are on Week 3, so that means that by mid-August we should be running 3 miles! Woohoo!

Regarding eating, I have had friends get great results by using Weight Watchers online. I have been "using it" for several weeks now, but haven't been faithful to record everything. No more excuses!

Mary and I go to the Wellness Center at Union (such a blessing to have this resource!) after I get off of work  at 4. So far, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, we follow the Couch to 5K plan for running. We also do abs on these days.

Couch to 5k!

Tuesdays and Thursdays we lift weights. This consists of 3 sets of 10 reps on leg curl machine, leg extension machine, and the ab machine. We use 8 lb free weights to work out our arms. I'm already able to tell a difference in my triceps! :-)

I'm so excited about this journey towards better health. I'll be updating on my progress!

5 comments:

  1. I may have to join you two! I need motivation BADLY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're there at 4 p.m. Monday-Friday! You're welcome to join! :-)

      Delete
  2. Awww I love it! :) So proud of you girl. Who knows maybe by the time school starts in the fall we can run some 5ks together. Just keep swimming lol thats what I tell myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job girl :) So proud of you. Really encouraging to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bria! Your blog is so encouraging too! It's so great to know that you're not alone :-)

      Delete